Typically, there are more than 70 water damage incidents monthly in a population of 100,000 people. That means that there are over 1,400 water damage incidents per month in a metro area the size of Houston. Even though there is a minimal chance that you may experience a water damage incidence in the next five years, there there is a very good chance that you won’t be ready for it. The water damage may be very devastating, especially if you do not know what to do in this situation.
First, remain calm. Be sure to turn off the breaker to the wet areas of the building before entering hose areas, or unplugging and moving anything electrical. Only then should you move any items on the floor to dry areas. If the source of the water is a broken or leaking pipe, turn off the water to building, or to that area.
Second, call a professional who has the experience to know how to handle these situations. Then the professional will know how to take care of your problem. They can immediately being the drying process, and most importantly, take control of the situation and put your mind at ease. They will monitor the drying process daily, and keep your insurance company informed.
Third, don’t wait. Most insurance policies require the insured to take actions to mitigate further damage. Experts agree that the first 48 hours are critical in preventing the growth of mold and other microbes that can lean to can unhealthy environment and the need for more extensive structural repairs. That’s why it is important to have professionals on site as soon as possible to remove all excess water and set up the property equipment to produce large amounts of dry air and begin the drying process immediately.
Water Damage Repair and Restoration Tips
Water damage poses serious problems to homeowners. There are no standard norms to deal with this problem. All crisis situations have their own distinguishing problems. Water can affect carpet and other floor coverings. Anything that allows water to settle on the carpet can cause carpet water damage. Some of the reasons for this are flooding, bursting of water pipes or leak problems. If timely measures are not taken it can lead not only for the replacement of the carpet but also the floors.
One of the foremost thing need to be done is removal of carpet water. Your clean up also depends on the quality of water which involves clean, rainwater or black. If the damage is more than you will need to remove the water with water extraction vacuum. Extract as much as water as possible. Then fold the carpet back on itself and turn on the fans and open the windows to making the drying process faster. Always the padding of the carpet takes more time to dry. Work on a small section at a time to achieve best results and extract all the water out. Carpet water extraction needs right technique and tools.
If the carpet remains wet for more than two days it becomes breeding place for mold. The material in the carpet absorbs and retains moisture and molds in the carpet take a bigger shape. These units are fibrous and porous and regain moisture providing ideal conditions for mold and mildew to multiply. To kill carpet mold, find the exact location and use organic mold remover or spray based natural cleaning products. Make sure that the surrounding areas are dry and properly ventilated. The natural products do not have any side effects and are effective. The mold and mildew removal by Property Perfection is natural and effective. Property perfections are the leading manufacturers in United States that make natural cleaning products.
Water seeps in and rests in carpet as the material absorbs it. This can be an ideal place not only for molds but also for bacteria that can cause infection. Carpet water damage restoration begins by first draining all the water before starting the drying process. The drying and the cleanup should take place with 24-48 hours. You can use a garden hose with a strong nozzle spray to do a sweeping action on the carpet. Do the same for the back area. Use the solution of chlorine bleach and water to clean the carpet. This can act as cleaning and disinfecting agent. Dry it completely and keep it away from the traffic area. Carpet water damage remediation requires quick action to clean up. If the damage is large it is best to call professional carpet restoration services.
With timely and proper action along with your hard work you can save your carpet and avoid costly expense and also eliminating the chances of harmful molds that can cause health issues.
Flood Restoration: Fixing Water Damage
One flood can wipe out tens of thousands of dollars of your personal property and damage your home beyond repair. When you look for a home to purchase, a major consideration of whether you buy it will be its location. A home situated in a flood zone can mean higher home insurance premiums and a greater risk of flood damage. Plan your home purchase carefully to ensure that you do not buy a home that can end up costing you almost as much in flood damage costs as it did to initially purchase.
Floods in Australia
Emergency Management Australia notes that flooding along rivers after a heavy rain is the most common form of flooding in the country in its "Floods: Warnings, Preparedness and Safety" brochure. Urban areas are also very prone to flooding from an overflow of drainage systems. This can be a particular problem in densely populated cities. Low areas near the coast are often flooded by storm surges from tropical cyclones. Inland rivers may have floods that last for weeks or even months at a time. This can lead to damage not only to homes and businesses, but also result in loss of drops, livestock, roads and rail lines.
Mountain head water areas of large rivers and rivers that drain to the coast often see quick onset flooding. This type of flooding does not allow much time to prepare for evacuation and preventive action to save property. Flash floods occur when short, heavy rain storms occur. These types of floods happen all over Australia, and they are the most dangerous. People lose their lives when they go into flood waters in vehicles or on foot. Flash floods are particularly upsetting in urban areas where drainage systems cannot keep up with the amount of water. Flash floods also happen in rural places with terrain prone to flash floods and steep streams.
Loss of Life
One of the most devastating risks of living in flood zones is loss of life. People can easily be swept away by strong flood currents as rivers overflow their banks. Entire communities can lose many people, which makes the physical damage from storms, breakage of dams and overflowing rivers appear as nothing.
Water levels rise quickly when floods occur. You may not have time to move furniture or even smaller personal belongings to higher ground when a flood occurs. Appliances, furniture, carpeting, walls, electrical and plumbing systems call all be wiped out in a few minutes of flooding. Pictures, important documents, electronics, computers, clothing and kitchen items are also often lost in floods. The items that recall memories and family are irreplaceable. Floods can destroy them all.
Homes with flood damage that are not properly rebuilt can cause health hazards for their occupants. Mould can grow in walls and cause severe respiratory illnesses. This is especially hard on children and older adults. Anyone who is prone to illness can get very sick from living in a house with water in the walls. Even healthy people become sick living in a house with flood damage. Without flood insurance to properly rebuild a home, homeowners may live in a house that is unsafe structurally and health-wise.
Home insurance costs are also typically higher for home owners living in flood zones. Higher monthly premiums are due to the added cost of insuring a home that is more likely to be destroyed or damaged by flooding than a home that is not located in a flood zone. However, without flood insurance built into your home insurance coverage, you can face rebuilding with no money with which to start over.
Major flooding happens about every ten years in the South-East Queensland area. About 35 per cent of buildings in Australia that are at risk of flooding are in Queensland, and 21 per cent of those are in the South-East Queensland area. Although the statistic is older, it is telling of the devastation flooding can cause when you read that a 1998 study found that the cost of urban flood damage in just Queensland was $100 million per year. With figures like this for an entire region, the costs per year in personal property damage can wipe a family's savings out and put them in debt for years.
How can you minimise the risk?
To avoid property damage and loss of life when flooding occurs, purchase flood insurance. Try to purchase a house that is not located in a flood zone in the first place. Stay tuned to radio, television and internet weather reports in the event of possible flooding. Also, evacuate as quickly as possible if you find yourself in a flood situation. Have an emergency kit and a packet of all your most important documents ready to go with you in case you must evacuate your home. With preparation and prevention, you can minimize and possibly avoid the high costs of flood damage to your home.
- Houston, Texas Emergency Services Restoration
- Bellaire, Texas Water Damage Cleaning Service
- Bunker Hill Village, Texas Water Restoration Service
- Deer Park, Texas Water Removal Services
- El Lago, Texas Home Restoration Services
- Galena Park, Texas Water Mitigation Services
- Hedwig Village, Texas Cleaning And Restoration Services
- Hilshire Village, Texas Basement Water Removal Service
- Humble, Texas Emergency Flood Services
- Hunters Creek Village, Texas Disaster Cleaning Services
- Jacinto City, Texas Water Damage Cleaning Service
- Jersey Village, Texas Disaster Cleaning Services
- La Porte, Texas Water Cleanup Services
- Morgan’s Point, Texas Cleaning And Restoration Services
- Nassau Bay, Texas Water Extraction Service
- Pasadena, Texas Disaster Restoration Services
- Piney Point Village, Texas Water Mitigation Services
- Shoreacres, Texas Flood Cleanup Services
- South Houston, Texas Water Damage Cleaning Service
- Southside Place, Texas Cleaning And Restoration Services
- Spring Valley Village, Texas Flood Restoration Service
- Taylor Lake Village, Texas Property Restoration Services
- Tomball, Texas Water Mitigation Services
- Webster, Texas Flood Services
- West University Place, Texas Restoration Services
- Aldine, Texas Cleaning And Restoration Services
- Atascocita, Texas Water Damage Emergency Service
- Barrett, Texas Basement Water Removal Service
- Channelview, Texas Flood Services
- Cinco Ranch, Texas Water Removal Services
- Cloverleaf, Texas Damage Restoration Services
- Crosby, Texas Water Mitigation Services
- Highlands, Texas Emergency Flood Services
- Mission Bend, Texas Flood Restoration Service
- Sheldon, Texas Flood Cleanup Services
- Spring, Texas Flood Cleanup Services
- The Woodlands, Texas Basement Flood Cleanup Services
- Alief, Texas Flood Cleaning Services
- Airline, Texas Water Damage Repair Service
- Bammel, Texas Water Damage Emergency Service
- Barker, Texas Water Removal Services
- Beaumont Place, Texas Water Damage Cleaning Service
- Bridgeland, Texas Mold Clean Up Service
- Cedar Bayou, Texas Property Restoration Services
- Champions Forest, Texas Damage Restoration Services
- Cimarron, Texas Restoration Services
- Coady, Texas Damage Restoration Services
- Cypress, Texas Cleaning Restoration Services
- Dyersdale, Texas Disaster Restoration Services
- East Aldine, Texas Water Damage Cleaning Service
- Fall Creek, Texas Water Damage Repair Service
- Hockley, Texas Disaster Cleaning Services
- Houmont Park, Texas Water Damage Service
- Huffman, Texas Emergency Flood Services
- Hufsmith, Texas Flood Cleaning Services
- Kingwood, Texas Water Damage Clean Up Service
- Klein , Texas Water Damage Emergency Service
- Kleinbrook, Texas Emergency Flood Services
- Kohrville, Texas Water Damage Restoration Service
- Louetta, Texas Water Removal Services
- Lynchburg, Texas Disaster Cleaning Services
- McNair, Texas Water Mitigation Services
- North Houston, Texas Water Damage Restoration Service
- Northcliffe, Texas Disaster Cleaning Services
- Northcliffe Manor, Texas Flood Cleaning Services
- Northgate Forest, Texas Water Mitigation Services
- Remington Ranch, Texas Flood Cleaning Services
- Rose Hill, Texas Basement Flood Cleanup Services
- Satsuma, Texas Water Cleanup Services
- Timber Meadows, Texas Basement Water Removal Service
- Traces, Texas Flood Damage Services
- Westfield, Texas Disaster Cleaning Services
- Katy, Texas Emergency Flood Services
- Sugar Land, Texas Disaster Cleaning Services
- Pearland, Texas Water Damage Cleaning Service
- Richmond, Texas Basement Water Removal Service
- Missouri City, Texas Flood Restoration Service
- Friendswood, Texas Water Cleanup Services
- League City, Texas Water Damage Restoration Service